Friday, June 17, 2011

The Journey Begins












About 4 months ago Josh came to me telling me he had been hounded by the theme of adoption from every angle. He was unsure of what it meant, was it for us personally or for our church? So he asked me to pray about it. 



Over the course of the next few weeks 




the theme kept coming and




 our hearts were moving toward the idea of another little munchkin in our family. Our 2 daughters, Elly and Lucy were excited about the idea of having another sibling. Our hearts were there, but the actual process was quite daunting to me. 




At this point we are all talking about it being a POSSIBILITY. This "possibility" was a HUGE mountain in my mind. There are so many questions in my mind I can't even begin to list all of them. As of now I feel like I'm standing at the bottom of a mountain I am told I might have to climb to the top of. I am a person looking up a steep mountain and I have never gone to a rock climbing class, have no gear, no guide, and am dressed in flip flops and a sundress. SOOOOOO ill-equipped and unprepared! Asking the questions, HOW, WHEN, WHERE??




Then Josh goes to a conference. Out of all the Pastors at the conference he could have been seated next to, he sits next to a man who tells him that he and his wife were finishing up their journey adopting 2 children from Ghana (and now they are actually adopting a 3rd). Josh comes home and has this look on his face......




Now mind you, my husband is a passionate, vision casting person. But he is not one to jump on bandwagons, invest, motivate and not follow thru. The last time he felt like God was talking to him THIS strongly was just before we moved to Chicago. And now look at us!




Back to the look on his face.....so he walks in the door, with this look and tells me about the man he sat next to. 2 nights previous we had watched a documentary on "The Lost Boys" in the Sudan. It was very moving and put faces in my/our minds. 




If I hadn't watched the documentary what he said to me might have made the mountain seem huger to me.




He tells me about Ghana. And instead of making the mountain seem bigger I felt like now I knew what was on top of the mountain, the mountain seemed like something I now wanted to conquer! THEN, he told me this man gave him his information and that he and his wife would be happy to walk us thru our adoption process!!! I feel like God just showed up as my rock climbing guide and handed me my gear I need to climb the mountain in this couple! Ok, Ok, maybe this is what God wants us to do?! He seems to be clearly placing signs in our path directing us specifically....now I just need to get out of this sundress and flip-flops!




2 days later, after processing all of this, Josh and I are talking and he asks me where I am at about taking that first step in the process. Actually making that first phone call. After a good long conversation we decided to take the first step! The first LEAP of faith. Keep in mind, we have NO MONEY for this journey. We are just taking a huge step of faith. Trusting that if God wants this child in our family it WILL happen. We have lots of tangible ways that we are going to try to raise money and there are some matching grants available out there. 









So my husband, children and I put on our mountain climbing clothes, are all geared up and following our ALL SUFFICIENT guide up the mountain!!!









I am going to keep everyone posted thru this blog. If you want to join us on this journey, "climb the mountain" with us please comment and check back for updates!!!










5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome yet terrifying journey! I am excited to see what God will accomplish through this:)) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Aiyana! I'm so excited for your family! This seed has been planted in Sid's and my heart too, but with Indy so little, we'd like to keep it a way off still. How awesome, it amazes me and fills me with joy when God puts children (and more children) heavily in the hearts of fathers! I can't wait to read your next post, and start praying for the prospect for us, thank you for sharing this. I am utterly inspired!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What a great Father's Day it is indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for the support ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aiyana! So happy to have happened upon your new blog! I just finished reading the book "Adopted for Life" which was such a good read...i'm sure you have a long list of recommendations but I'd add this one to it :) Really moved my heart towards the Heavenly Father who has truly adopted us into his family and the author's heart and process in the adoption of his two sons is awesome!
    Excited to follow and support as you move forward!

    ReplyDelete